List of Sites
Three cists were excavated in 1928.
Consisted of four slabs and a capstone, measured about 1.02m by 0.64m and 0.56m deep.
- bone fragments were found when it was opened in 1910
Consisted of four slabs and a capstone, measured 0.94m by 0.51m and 0.41m deep.
- partially cremated bone, jet necklace, flint knife.
Consisted of four grooved slabs and a cover slab, measured 1.14m by 0.69m and 0.48m deep with a floor of flat water-worn stones.
- Food Vessel, fragments of unburnt bone and teeth, piece of flint, pieces of charcoal, fragment of bronze.
The cists were sited in a gravel pit on a small promontory. They may not be visible any longer and a fourth reported in 1961 is no longer traceable
This site is on private land and permission should be sought.
- PSAS, 63 (1928-9), 189, 155-66; 65 (1930-1), 279
- Campbell and Sandeman, 21, no.147; 19, no.129 & no.130;
- GAJ, 8 (1981), 19-28
- DES, (1961), 11
Mid-Argyll Sites and Artefacts
Mayo - Vestvågøy - Mid-Argyll
This project has been supported by the EU as part of the Culture 2000 programme.